Nearly all of my earlier writings have been compiled, edited, expanded and integrated into a work calledMastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha, An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book. I think it is one of the more practical and technically detailed manuals for high-level insight and concentration practice available, and its maps of spiritual terrain and advice for navigating in unusual territory are world-class. It is available in Adobe (.pdf) format for download below and is about 1.4 megabytes. When printed, the book is about 392 pages. In 2007 and 2008 I rewrote a substantial portion of the chapter on the Models of the Stages of Enlightenment.
The current version is also available at the Dharma Overground Wiki in wiki form. A Spanish version is being created and can be found here. An older version of the book is also available in blog format (blook).
I am extremely happy to announce that, at long last, the book is available in standard printed form from Aeon Pulications, out of London. It should be of real value to those who actually want to hold a book in their hands and not some large unbound thing they printed off on the office laser printer. It is also available for order from your local independent bookstore or any of the standard mega-sources, including the likes of Amazon.
My book has parts of it that are suitable for beginners, but some of it is likely to be somewhat daunting unless you are into hardcore practice.
You may quote my book if you reference it properly, do not alter the text you quote, and do not use quotes out of context. Please realize that it is bound by the standard limitations of language and the author.
Enjoy! To download, click the link below...
It is also available in other languages, with many thanks for the diligent work of the various translators for the generous gift of their time and talents:
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha in Swedish (ATT BEMÄSTRA GRUNDEN I BUDDHAS LÄRA , En ovanligt handfast bok om Dharma), translated by Ingrid Wennerhag.
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha en Español (El Dominio De Las Enseñanzas Centrales del Buda, Un Libro Excepcionalmente Duro de Dharma) translated by Andrés Coca Lopez. This is also a work in progress.
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha in German (DIE KERNLEHREN DES BUDDHAS MEISTERN), translated by Bernhard Payr and Michael Zeh. This is a work in progress, with more to come when it is available. Many thanks to both translators for their work on this.
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha in French. Frederic Giraud and Jessica Lachello, perhaps with the help of Tristan Crunchant, will be attempting a translation of Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha in French. It will be posted here as more becomes available. Many thanks for their work on this.
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha in Russian, a work in progress translated by Anastasia Gosteva, with many thanks to her for her work Links will be posted here as they become available:
I am actually in the process of revising it, creating something called either MCTB 2 or Remastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha (as has been recommended independently by numerous people), and I will let you know when that is done. My work-life has nearly totally derailed everything else, so MCTB-2 (or ReMastering the Core... as some are calling it) will be somewhat delayed.
Also available is a simple 2-page handout on basic insight practice in Word (.doc) format:Insight Practice Instructions #1
A legal-size 2-page handout of insight practice with slightly more information than the one above is also available:
- Insight Practice Instructions, Legal-Size, Adobe (.pdf)
- Insight Practice Instructions, Legal-Size, Microsoft Word (.doc)
A 11x17 handout of the stages of insight and awakening with a detailed table of defining criteria may be found below:
- Nanas, Jhanas and Paths Handout pages 1-2, 11x17 (tabloid size paper), Word (.doc)
- Nanas, Jhanas and Paths Handout page 1, 11x17 , Adobe (.pdf)
- Nanas, Jhanas and Paths Handout page 2, 11x17 , Adobe (.pdf)