Nearly all of my earlier writings have been compiled, edited, expanded and integrated into a work called Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha, An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book, and then this was revised to a much expanded second edition, often referred to as MCTB2, which was published in July, 2018, available in print from from standard booksellers and from my kind publisher, Aeon books, also in a limited deluxe 200 print run hardbound with ribbon and nice paper here (the content is exactly the same except the cover art attribution), and also now freely available online here. I think it is one of the more practical and technically detailed manuals for high-level insight and concentration practice available, and its maps of spiritual terrain and advice for navigating in unusual territory are world-class. Enjoy, use it skillfully, and practice well.
The first edition, often referred to as MCTB or MCTB1, is still available in various forms also, but, IMHO, the second edition is vastly better, as it responded to a decade of feedback and real-world experience that reader practitioners were kind enough to provide from the first edition.
The first edition is available in Adobe (.pdf) format for download below and is about 1.4 megabytes. When printed, the book is about 392 pages. In 2007 and 2008 I rewrote a substantial portion of the chapter on the Models of the Stages of Enlightenment.
The first edition from 2008 is also available at the Dharma Overground Wiki in wiki form. A Spanish version is being created and can be found here. An older version of the book is also available in blog format (blook).
My book has parts of it that are suitable for beginners, but some of it is likely to be somewhat daunting unless you are into hardcore practice.
You may quote my book if you reference it properly, do not alter the text you quote, and do not use quotes out of context. Please realize that it is bound by the standard limitations of language and the author.
To download the 2008 edition, click the link below...
There is an audiobook version available also of the first edition. It was most kind of the creators to make it and publish it as they did. I will hopefully complete my own audiobook of the second edition at some point.
The first edition is also available in other languages, with many thanks for the diligent work of the various translators for the generous gift of their time and talents:
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha in Swedish (ATT BEMÄSTRA GRUNDEN I BUDDHAS LÄRA , En ovanligt handfast bok om Dharma), translated by Ingrid Wennerhag.
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha en Español (El Dominio De Las Enseñanzas Centrales del Buda, Un Libro Excepcionalmente Duro de Dharma) translated by Andrés Coca Lopez. This is also a work in progress. The translation by Lopez was not completed and more of it is being generously worked on as time permits by Oscar Franco. Updates found
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha in German (DIE KERNLEHREN DES BUDDHAS MEISTERN), translated by Bernhard Payr and Michael Zeh. This is a work in progress, with more to come when it is available. Many thanks to both translators for their work on this.
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha in French. Frederic Giraud and Jessica Lachello, perhaps with the help of Tristan Crunchant, will be attempting a translation of Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha in French. It will be posted here as more becomes available. Many thanks for their work on this.
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha in Russian: a partial translation done by Anastasia Gosteva, with many thanks to her for her kind work:
Slate Star Codex was kind enough to review the first edition of the book book here.
Also available is a simple 2-page handout on basic insight practice in Word (.doc) format:
A legal-size 2-page handout of insight practice with slightly more information than the one above is also available:
- Insight Practice Instructions, Legal-Size, Adobe (.pdf)
- Insight Practice Instructions, Legal-Size, Microsoft Word (.doc)
A 11x17 handout of the stages of insight and awakening with a detailed table of defining criteria may be found below:
- Nanas, Jhanas and Paths Handout pages 1-2, 11x17 (tabloid size paper), Word (.doc)
- Nanas, Jhanas and Paths Handout page 1, 11x17 , Adobe (.pdf)
- Nanas, Jhanas and Paths Handout page 2, 11x17 , Adobe (.pdf)